Callaloo like Spinach is a super vegetable that is rich in vitamin B, iron and antioxidants. It’s a staple Jamaican breakfast item and is best paired with a ripe Jamaican pear (avocado) and your favourite side dish. To get the best from this super food the trick is to let it shine. Callaloo has a distinct and bold flavour that can be enhanced by seasoning, just be careful not to add too much of any as the flavour can be easily be overshadowed by vibrant spices
1lb shredded Callaloo 😊
2 cloves Garlic
1 small White onion
1 small Tomato
½ tsp Hot Pepper or chilli pepper
1 Tbsp Green onion
1 Tbsp Butter/Margarine
1 Tsp Black Pepper
1 Tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1. Peel/strip the thin membrane or casing from the stalk of each callaloo bunch. Don’t be afraid to break them up to get rid of as much membrane as possible.
2. Finely chop callaloo, extra attention on the stalk to ensure its quickly cooked. Remember this vegetable is just like Spinach and doesn’t take a lot of time to steam
1. Bring “seasoning” together. Thinly slice onions, cube tomatoes and chop garlic.
2. Add oil to sauce pan and sauté seasoning on medium heat until the tomatoes soften and onions begin to caramelize and stir fry for 2-3mins.
3. Lower heat and add shredded callaloo and butter then let steam, carefully turning to let all sides touch the bottom of the sauce pan and so as not to undercook or over cook for 2-3mins.
4. Add salt and pepper to flavour
*tip: try to avoid covering the sauce pan to steam, some people do it but it’s not totally necessary if you are steaming on low flame and will cause the callaloo to oxidize faster than it cooks and finish with a dark green colour instead of a vibrant green.
All done, please eat, post a pic tagging @IrieThyme and Enjoy!